Gosford & District Orchid Society - covering the Central Coast.

                                                     About Us.

                                                                 

                                                                    Who We are.

The G.O.S. provides its members with the opportunity to learn about growing all types of orchids, to show their plants and to expand their collection, all in a socially friendly and supportive group. Informative meetings and displays of orchids are held each month. G.O.S. provides its members with the opportunity to learn about growing all types of orchids, to show their plants and to expand their collection, all in a socially friendly and supportive group. Informative meetings and displays of orchids are held each month on the 4th Wednesday starting at 7:30 pm. at Kincumber School of Arts Hall on the corner of Avoca Drive & Empire Bay Drive Kincumber.

                                                                 Our history.

Gosford & District Orchid Society Inc. affiliated with the Orchid Society Of New South Wales Inc. The G.O.S. provides its members with the opportunity to learn about growing all types of orchids, to show their plants and to expand their collection, all in a socially friendly and supportive group. Informative meetings and displays of orchids are held each month. Brief History of Gosford & District Orchid Society. On Thursday, 24th July 1952. thirty five orchid growers drawn from all Parts of the Central Coast converged on the Agricultural Show Rooms in Mann Street  Gosford. to form the Gosford & District Orchid Society. Heading the meeting was a fairly high Powered group of citizens led by convenor Mr Hubert Cambourn, who was elected inaugural President . Mr Cambourn was a well known and well respected member of Eastwood Orchid Society. Others Present were Mr J.A.Sterland  who was elected VicePresident  Mr.R.G. Stephenson (Secretary) and Messrs. R.Caton. C.E.Parry. H.G.Parry, R.Kirkness and W.J.Gudsell ; Committee Henry Party moved that the annual membership fees be fifteen shillings however the Meeting decided that this was excessive and an amended motion was passed setting the annual subscription at ten shillings. It was a busy meeting: Rules were discussed and agreed in Principle. the monthly meeting time and place was determined and it was resolved to affiliate with The Orchid Society of New South Wales for an annual fee equivalent to about $ 3.00. Finally, it was decided to hold the infant Society first full scale show in the Masonic Hall Gosford on September 25th. 1952. The show schedule was agreed: it contained twelve classes. which attracted Prize money of two guineas for First and one guinea for Second. Admission to the show was to be charged at two shillings per person. The show was to be judged by Mr. Carrington Deane. At a later meeting, J.A.Sterland offered to increase Prize mow for the champion cymbidium to five guineas. C.E.Parry offered two guineas for the Reserve Champion. Both offers were accepted with thanks. Organisation for the show was smooth and Professional every member had a job and every job was well done. The Printed Show Schedule announced FIRST ANNUAL EXHIBITION. It carried a number of advertisements. Sterland Bros Pty Ltd announced various items for Orchid growers: tan bark, pots and equipment for building glass houses. C.E.Parry's Nursery Promoted a range of plants. John Bisset offered 'Vandas and other miscellaneous glass house plants from ten shillings each. Frank Slattery was selling a wide range of orchids and 'Aladdin Glasshouse heaters'. The show was a success and the Society Prospered. That was the beginning of almost five decades of continuous active service by Members to the Central Coast Orchid community. Today. the Society is still serving the Coast, providing an organisation where orchid lovers can meet to display, discuss and admire the results of their endeavours.